The ChroniCOLE

Monday, April 09, 2007

One Week Ago!

One week ago, it was a stereotypical Monday. We were back at work after the weekend and things were going along as they usually do. The phones were ringing, quotes were flying out the door, and I was wrapped up in my own little work-world as I usually am between 7 and 5. But oh…how things can change in the blink of an eye.

It’s been one week already since we got the phone call that Mom had been taken to the hospital. And now I’ve had a week to think back, a week to reflect, and a week of “what ifs.” It hurts that Mom is gone, but I have a peculiar peace and comfort. The truth of the matter is that I have no regrets with regards to how Mom and I left things.

But, if I’m being honest, I think I would have done some things different. You see, I’ve never lost anybody close to me unexpectedly. I’ve never truly entertained the thought...what if this is the last time I ever hug her…what if this is the last time I ever get the chance to tell them that I love them...what if this is the last time I will hang up the phone with him. Those of you who can relate know what I’m talking about. I’ve been awoken every morning for the past week thinking over the last times I saw Mom…the last times we talked on the phone…what I would have or could have done different if I knew it was the last time.

But, then I realize that God’s timing is perfect, and he uses all things for the good of those who love Him. I don’t think God intends to use the thoughts that creep in my mind to cause regret. But I think He uses them to help me focus on the friends, family, and loved ones that are here…to help me realize that there is no promise of tomorrow on this earth for any of us. I rolled over this morning and squeezed Sherry a little tighter than normal…it may have been because she refuses to turn the heat back on, but in mind I was thankful she was there to hold on to.

Words cannot express the thanks we have for the family and friends who have shown their love and support with prayers, cards, phone calls, and offers to help in any way. But in my attempt…thanks to you all; Sherry and I are blessed to have you in our lives. Squeeze your loved ones that are within arms reach, make a phone call to those you can’t squeeze, and please continue to pray for the ways that God will use this in my life and in that of our family members.

4 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

You are so right. The death of a loved one sure puts things in perspective. Many many things that bother us or distract us in life mean nothing when faced with all this. People are the things that are important. I know when my aunt was dying our theme was to live with no regrets...even when we got weary and tired....live so that you won't have regrets. Great post, Troy! We love you guys so very much. We are praying for you

4/09/2007 5:56 PM  
Blogger Scott and Beth said...

Sherry, thanks so much for the recipe! I can't wait to try that one too!

We're still praying for you guys!

4/10/2007 7:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey guys! I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I know that is never easy. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

4/12/2007 9:02 PM  
Blogger Michelle H. said...

Troy very sorry to hear about your mom! My thoughts and prayer will be with you and Sherry! What a well written blog about your Mom! You did a great job honoring her! I love the story in the life of Christ of the woman that was to be stoned. Christ said he who has not sinned let him cast the first stone! O the Great Love of God! I am sure Christ was there to welcome your Mom with open arms and to place the robe of righteousness on her. And if Christ does not return she will be there to apart of your welcoming party!
On a side not I LOL when Sherry told me of your newest addition! See Sherry, Monique and Max were there to give you pratice and you didn't even know it! Love Ya Lots Michelle

4/14/2007 5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home