The ChroniCOLE

Friday, February 22, 2008

a cold...........

i am so ready for spring.....we have been snowed on twice this week and they are predicting more tonight...i am just ready for light sweater weather.....oh well.....that is ok....
so i have a question.....i have a cold, scratchy throat, nice drainage while i am trying to sleep at night and i am looking for suggestions....it keeps me up at night and you know me and my LOVE of sleeping....( i know ...i know....once this baby comes i won't sleep again for a good 18 years) but now you see my urgency to sleep now.
i am trying to avoid taking medication while pregnant so i have used vicks vapor rub for my stuffy nose and that really does help....but the scratchy throat and that nasty drainage in my throat while i am trying to sleep really needs to go....sorry if that is too much information...
on the baby front - all seems well, jacob is a kicker.... :) troy told me he felt him kicking him in the back yesterday am while i was spooning him.....i think sometimes he is trying to get out...but i gently tell him that i guarantee it is warmer in there than in our house. :)...i really have been feeling great other than my little cold and in the grand scheme of things this to shall pass.
after losing a baby to a miscarriage it makes you so much more thankful for the one you are carrying.....i try to focus on all the good things and realize the inconvenient things are just for a time....my hand for instance....it is a bit better at night with the brace, and it doesn't bother me too much except when the velcro sticks to our comforter and i can't get it loose and when i try and cuddle close to my hubbie....oh well! right!?!?!
i am going to try and take a picture today at lunch.....if any of you thought i wasn't showing at 20 weeks.....well i have made up for it in the past 4 weeks....
it is friday and that is really all that matters....i love weekends.....so very much! i think we are heading to Ikea tomorrow to figure out some things for the nursery so we can registered...
i will try and write again soon.
love to you all........

9 Comments:

Blogger Joe & Sarah McDaniel said...

I had some colds during my pregnancies - and even a perpetually stuffy nose during the last few months of all of them. My doctors told me benadryl was okay to take, and that helped alot, but you'd have to check with your doctor. If you don't want to take medication, I don't know of anything that will help the symptoms. The problem I've found w/ allowing the drainage to continue is that it seems to lengthen my cold - chest congestion, coughing, sore throat. Sorry I can't be of more help!

And I'm right on board w/ you on the miscarriage note. I had three "normal" pregnancies, and I was always so miserable and a big complainer - then I had two miscarriages. My last pregnancy was just as miserable (if not more) as far as the symptoms, but my perspective was completely different - I was just so thankful to have that little baby growing inside of me because I was so much more aware of what it means to have that taken away. Anyway, I know you know what I mean. Thanks for sharing your post - can't wait to see the picture! Enjoy your weekend!

2/22/2008 11:32 AM  
Blogger The Goodman's said...

you may try sleeping with a humidifier in your room. I do that when my nose gets stuffy and throat gets dry and it seems to help. We use one of the warm mist humidifiers (they are quieter, which David prefers).

By the way, I started a real blog.

davidnalicia.blogspot.com

2/22/2008 12:02 PM  
Blogger Cari Mohler said...

WoW! A baby! I don't remember if I knew that or not!?!?! I need to keep up a bit more!! My word! How exciting!! When is your due date? You look so cute!! Sorry about the god! No fun! I am sick of winter and so ready for spring and summer as well! I hope you have a good weekend!

2/22/2008 3:36 PM  
Blogger Amanda T said...

I'm glad to hear that your pregnancy is going pretty well. I agree that having had previous miscarriages does make carrying this "keeper" so special. I love feeling her kick and move around. She often kicks Tom while we're in bed too.
I'd love to see that belly pushing out there now...so definitely put up a picture!!

2/22/2008 3:43 PM  
Blogger Matt & Nicki said...

okay, benadryl never used to have any "Weird" side effects, but one night I took it for another issue I have, and I woke up with dry mouth, my heart racing and I could hardly breathe!! It was the most terrible feeling. . .anyway, I try to keep water by my bed and vitamin c drops or some kind of throat drop for those scratchy nights. . .Wow, you already have a nap picked out for the little guy--that's great. . Oh,and i have to laugh that you and Troy are spooners, b/c Matt and I like to cuddle BEFORE we fall asleep, but then it's all our own territory from there, goodnight, quick kiss, roll the opposite direction and there we lay butt to butt! Romantic huh?!! Glad the brace is helping some--it may get better as the pregnancy goes on. How many weeks are you now?

2/22/2008 7:25 PM  
Blogger Mo's Mob said...

I had that sore throat issue a lot too. I used Chloraseptic spray because it just numbs it in your mouth or now they have Chloraseptic dissolving strips (like those Listerine ones). That way you're not really ingesting anything but it numbs your throat (at least enough to get you back to sleep :)! Just an idea - it worked for me - hope it helps you out!!! :) Glad to hear things are going well with this little one!

2/23/2008 5:12 PM  
Blogger Betty 'Rie said...

I had constant drainage, stuffy nose, scratchy throat, etc. all through my pregnancy with Jack, and this one has been no different. It definitely is worse when you have a cold! I do recommend a humidifier in your room at night--that seems to help with the throat. The only thing I found effective with the stuffiness and drainage was 4 hour Sudafed. Our doctor recommends that during pregnancy, and I found it to have no significant side effects. If you are set on no meds, though, that won't help. I did take Sudafed and Tylenol all through the pregnancy with Jack, and although I have really cut back myself on taking any meds with Grace, I have done it on occasion for a cold. Anyway, hope you get to feeling better!

2/26/2008 12:40 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Yeah, hard part about pregnancy is not being able to take any of the "good" stuff. Perhaps you could have some decaf warm tea with lemon and honey in it before bed. That is supposed to cut the crud.


We are with you Nicki butt to butt is best for really sleeping :)

2/26/2008 7:22 PM  
Blogger the johnson crew said...

i use a vaporizer... it helps a lot with stuffy noses and dry throats and stuff. - i feel like i have been fighting off a cold since christmas.

2/28/2008 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home