The ChroniCOLE

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Brevity of Life

Lately I have been reminded on how brief our time on this earth will be and for some shorter than what we think is fair. A few young families come to mind - I think of Eric and Kelly Steffen and their two boys. Eric went home to be with the Lord last month, June 3rd - ( http://erikandkelly.ministryhome.org/) he was in his early 30's and he had a severe battle with cancer. And then there is Ed and Kelley Horn and their little boy and girl. Ed went home to see his Savior just this monday, July 24th. ( http://www.edhorn.info/ ) He had turned 30 earlier this year and also lost his life to cancer. I think of good friends that have lost loved ones so unexpectantly and my heart just yearns for the answer to this confusion. And we know what it is - for this is not our home we are just passing through. Our purpose on this earth is to Glorify and Praise God and sometimes He is finished with us on this earth sooner than we all thought. What should we learn from all of this? I know I have been reminded that today could be our last day and to make it count. What is truly important? Is it the clothes we wear? The house we own? The perfect size (what is that anyways?:) All those are important to a certain degree but when they consume our lives and become the most important thing - obviously then they have become an idol of our hearts. I try and worry less and pray about things more - keep everything in the perspective of eternity. I hold unto my husband a little bit tighter! Girls - we need to do a better job of focusing on ALL that we have and less on what we think we deserve or need or want. I remember when I was single and being so excited for the day that I would marry my best friend and how he would be in my life forever. My goal is to never lose that love and excitement - to not get caught up in the busyness of life and the trials and the struggles but to rejoice and learn through those together. Drawing closer to our Savior and each other because we have the same goal. To please Christ - to let our pride and selfishness die on the alter and to enjoy life and smile more often. If you have a hard time with your thinking or doing any of this - think of Kelly and Kelley - Two very young women who are now widows and they WISH they had their husbands for just one more minute. Let's enjoy every minute and don't take life for granted.
Thanks for letting me share what has been on my heart lately and be upholding the Steffens and the Horns in prayer as the pain and grief they feel is overwhelming to me but God is good and His Grace is perfect.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks, Sherry for your post, it means a lot.

7/26/2006 12:12 PM  
Blogger Troy & Sherry said...

jeannie -
no problem - makes you think twice about things....and what life is really about...

7/26/2006 1:05 PM  
Blogger Wentzel Weekly said...

Thanks, Sherry for that great reminder! You are sooo right! I still always say cherish the moments like that old song :)! Those two ladies are now in my prayers. Thanks for sharing!
Love you,
Alyssa

7/28/2006 8:23 AM  
Blogger S said...

Amen. What a good reminder. It puts it all into perspective. We'll be praying for these families. Praise God for His sufficient grace in time of need.

7/29/2006 6:52 PM  
Blogger Hairgrove Hangout said...

Sherry - what an excellent picture of God's continued goodness to us. We (wives) truly do need to be thankful, and count each day precious as we hold our husbands. I cnnot imagine life without my precious husband, and best friend. It's been 34 years together, and we still love talking together. Great post. Love ya!

7/31/2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Thank you for the reminder. God is good no matter what our aching heart feels. I think these are the times when the character of God is what we have to cling to. Isn't being a wife to your best friend the most wonderful gift from God? I know I don't deserve Allen....and thank the Lord he doesn't give us what we really deserve.

7/31/2006 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home