The ChroniCOLE

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Painting is done :)

And, once again, another week has flown by. Praise the Lord, the painting is finished. Sherry tackled the bedroom ceiling, and I the sanctuary ceiling. By Saturday evening we were all done. There’s a bit of touching up to do here and there, but we’re now into the “what’s next” stage again.

Some other praise items…it looks like we’ve preliminary approval on refinancing with an actual mortgage. Getting refinanced is one of the huge steps we need towards getting moved in, and it’s one less thing to worry about. Also, as “dub” as it sounds, we strapped a pew to the back of my bright orange, 1979 Mazda pick-up and parked it by the highway over the weekend with a “For Sale” sign on it (Sherry says buy the pew, you can have the truck). Strictly for advertising purposes (ok…amusement too), I tried to get her to hop on and go for a ride, but to no avail. Anyway, the bottom line was that we generated a lot of interest and sold several of the pews as a result. Not only did we raise a few $$$, but it also helps to clear some of the area we need to start working in.

Speaking of raising a few $$$, Sherry and I decided to call it quits early Saturday and go out to eat at a decent restaurant. We rarely go out anyplace nice, but since one guy paid in cash we decided…what the heck!!! Since Sherry was craving Texas Roadhouse on Friday night, I decided we’d go there. Long story short…we get seated right away, start in on some rolls and a salad. We’re all romantic, sitting on the same side of the table, snuggling up to one another when some oddballs with two kids get sat at the ONE table that we’re facing. We go about our business despite the distracting tire rim sized, hole-punch looking things the guy has in his ears and ponytail that’s creeping towards our rolls. Our meal comes, and we start in on the chicken critters and Awesome Blossom or whatever they call that gigantic, overgrown deep fried onion thing. The next thing we know, the 5+ year old kid at table across from our romantic adventure begins regurgitating the glass of milk he just chugged along with his last six full meals. I’m no puking-in-a-public-place expert, but I think my initial reaction would be to take the kid to the bathroom. Mind you, we’re not talking about an infant or even a toddler…this is a school aged child. You’ve probably guessed by now that mom didn’t take puking child to bathroom…no, no, no…she thrusts the galvanized peanut bucket under his mouth to catch the puke as it spews. As an initial reaction, I guess I can’t blame her…but this kid sat there puking for a good 3-4 minutes while the other three at the table sat completely entranced. All the while, the smell of puke in the air begins to permeate my breathing space…not a semi-unpleasant “Oh, the baby spit up” kind of smell. We’re talking the smell like back in elementary school where the janitor was called in with a respirator and a bag of sawdust. As much I hate to cause a scene, I had to get up and get out before my bucket-o-peanuts began swimming too. My incredible wife was a trooper, though. She stayed put until the waitress got us a new table, and called me on the cell phone.

So much for romantic night out…And as for my incredible wife, she brags about me…but God has provided a perfect and fitting helper, and she is more than I could have ever asked for or even imagined.

11 Comments:

Blogger Wentzel Weekly said...

Troy,
That was a great story! Thanks for the laugh tonight! Everytime we go out to eat, I always ask to be seated away from people so our child doesn't ruin a romantic night for someone else! :)
Thanks for being such a great husband to my friend! I am her friend from high school and college!
Alyssa

7/12/2006 6:31 PM  
Blogger carissa said...

hey, you guys look great. I'm glad you're making progress with the BIG HOUSE!

7/12/2006 8:23 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Ha ha ha ....I am laughing so hard just picturing all this! Then it is not so funny because I can picture one of my kids doing that. I would think, however, that I would immediately be making a bee line to the bathroom with my puker and the bucket in tow!! Too funny. I can't believe you guys stayed there to eat. I don't think I could overcome :)

Awesome story...great story telling!

7/13/2006 8:03 AM  
Blogger Troy & Sherry said...

Troy had me in tears when i was reading this....makes me thankful for such a funny hubbie. :)

7/13/2006 9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I can make you guys laugh...maybe I should consider a career change...hmmm

7/13/2006 12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how well does "professional goofball" pay???

7/13/2006 12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say - Troy has a wonderful ability to write very graphically - unfortunatly - I feel like I experienced that with you guys. :o) xoxo - kristi

7/13/2006 1:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Sorry about your romantic date-turned-what NOT to do when you're a parent lesson. :) Since I had Luke, I've become MUCH less judgemental of other's parenting skills (would you believe Luke is not ALWAYS a perfect ANGEL?), but in this case, I'd be pretty annoyed too!

7/17/2006 5:55 AM  
Blogger Jeffo said...

I agree with Kristy... I can allmost smell the spatter and peanuts...eech

7/17/2006 7:54 PM  
Blogger bethoven said...

Wow. That was definitely a "blog-worthy" tale! Gross.

7/18/2006 6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I laughed so hard when I read this. Oh, I was rolling...

Lee

8/01/2006 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home