The ChroniCOLE

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

How we got engaged!



this is in response to one of the questions we got.....ask away - we will answer :)
it was after work that he called me, june 20, 2005 and told me that he had a surprise for me that was in the trunk of my car ... and that it was under the blanket....
so i went to the car....and opened the trunk and i called him back and asked him if he wanted me to wait until he got there or to go ahead and look - he wanted me to go ahead and look before i went to my apt....so i picked up the blanket and there was a teddy bear there - so i picked it up and it had this little bag attached to it...i felt it and there was this piece of paper and a ring on it....so my heart just went racing.....and i thought wait a minute where is he? - there is no way he would propose by a note (yah - hello duh) - so i took it into the apt. - and felt that the ring was competely flat - knowing that there should be some sort of jewel :o)....i opened it and there was a note - that said "got your heart beatin there for a bit didn't i....you should know better"....and then it went on to tell me to meet him at this park that we had gone to before ....so i thought - wait a minute is this really happening....so i went to the park and he was just casually sitting on the tailgate of his truck....so we said hey....and he said....kinda got you excited there for a bit didn't i.....so then i thought he is just playing with my mind.....
then he took my hand and we walked to a bench and sat down....so then i thought again ....this is it.....and then we just talked for about 20 minutes...planned the rest of our evening.....so then ok this isn't it....in the meantime some people walked by .....we got a visit by some random dogs....well then he said..."yah ready to go?" i said "sure"....then he said - hey you know how i write some stuff down when i need to vent - i said yah ...he said well i didn't need to vent but i wrote some stuff down...can i read it to you....so he started to read this letter ....and he made it to the end of the first line and started crying....well then i started crying and then this other dog came out of nowhere....i said - baby there is a dog....he just said .....i gotta keep going....so he read the letter.....and then got down on one knee and asked me to marry to him....i said yes.... - looked at the ring briefly and then kissed him :o) - then he said - did you say yes....ha ha....and then i looked at the ring again and then put it on.....we then went back to my apt....prayed together.....and then went out to eat ....and then shared the news with our parents and started to tell everyone else.....
such fun it was and then we were married, december 31st, 2005....it is hard to believe it has been over a year already! such fun!

11 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

I love that picture of you guys! Beautiful. Now you forgot the part about your stupendous friend who told you months earlier that he was the guy :)

Troy, I have always been on your team! I am sure you will thank me appropriately as you got quite the catch :)

1/17/2007 9:20 AM  
Blogger the johnson crew said...

you guys are beautiful! what a sweet story too!!

we are looking forward to moving in with you guys! thanks for the invitation.

janelle

1/17/2007 3:48 PM  
Blogger S said...

great story - thanks for sharing...

1/17/2007 5:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful story guys! How very sweet. How strange that dogs were attracted to the moment too. Maybe they saw the bright sparkly diamond? How cute that Troy said, "I gotta keep going" and ignored the mangy mutts. :)

1/17/2007 5:15 PM  
Blogger Cari Mohler said...

So neat! I loved it! What a turkey to play games with you!! :)

I saw your mom today here at NBBC. Very fun chatting with her! :)

I will have to think of a snoopy question for you all!

1/17/2007 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a snoopy question!

What exactly did Troy read to you?

1/18/2007 8:09 AM  
Blogger The Two of Us said...

Great Story! Loved it! Mike and I also got engaged on the beach...that had been something I had always dreamed of and he didn't even know it. Sometimes I think God enjoys working out the details like that.

1/18/2007 7:07 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I love that picture of you two! You guys look beautiful together! Hilarious how he got your heart racing with the ring - they know we've looked forward to that moment since we were little :).

1/19/2007 7:29 AM  
Blogger Sage said...

thas so cool. Right on.

1/22/2007 7:02 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Sherry! Yay - I found another friend! I love this blogger thing & you know what I love even more? Your engagement story! What a cut little trick with the teddy bear. I haven't had the chance to read up on all your posts, but I'm looking forward to it. Do you still live in Indiana? We might now be all that far from each other...come visit my blog anytime!

1/23/2007 5:49 PM  
Blogger mitchells2000 said...

Sherry -
I'm not sure if we've ever officially met, but we know your family very well. My hubby, Chris, taught Holly & TJ at Faith for 2 years, and was TJ's soccer coach, as well as the JV b-ball coach. Anyway, I love your engagement story... it's so fun to find out the creative ways that men have of asking the BIG QUESTION! Thanks for sharing. You can check out our blog at www.mitchells2000.blogspot.com
Please tell your family hello for us next time you talk to them.

1/29/2007 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home