The ChroniCOLE

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Concrete Countertops!

Ok…so we’ve not been on hiatus, we’ve just been working solely on countertops since Labor Day weekend. And, quite honestly, I didn’t want to share a whole lot until I knew whether or not the idea of forming our own concrete tops would work or not. Of course, we’re not finished and they aren’t perfect, but I think we’ve resolved ourselves to the fact that they are our own and we’re going to make them work.

However, it hasn’t been without adventure. As most of you already know, Sherry and I are just kind of figuring this stuff out as we go. Having curved counter tops is probably not a real good starting point for beginners. But we’re learning and both of us come up with different ideas as we go. And, I think when we’re all said and done, the final product will be respectable. If nothing else, they will be original and serve their purpose.

We’re also learning about safety as we go. Hmmm…where to start…lets go with common sense. Rule #1) When working with concrete slabs, shoes (maybe even boots) are a pretty good idea. Sandals…not so much. One near trip to the hospital for the 4x8 sheet of plywood that fell on the my right foot, a trip to the Immediate Care facility for a Tetnus shot after a nail went though the other foot, and I’ll be wearing shoes or boots from now on. Rule #2) When using revolving tools such as drills, make sure the attachments are secure. For example, I decided that to give the tops a nice polished look it would be a good idea to buff the surfaces with an electric car polisher. In my first attempt, the buffing pad (which was rotating at somewhere near one million revolutions per second) decided it would be fun to fly off in my general direction and see how well I sound as a soprano. I’m doubled over trying to catch my breath, and with all of the compassion my wife could muster through her muted laughter she’s wanting to know if it’s ok tell others about my unfortunate and somewhat embarrassing moment. The outcome…we will stick with the matte finish on the countertops. Rule #3) Concrete slabs are heavy and moving big ones requires the help of good friends…Thanks for your help, Stephen!!!

The nice thing about pouring concrete and finishing it the way we have is that there is a whole lot of drying time. Sherry and I have been able to spend more quality time with each other and in the Word the last few weeks while the concrete and poly-acrylic sets up. With one bathroom done and the financing squared away, I don’t think either of us is feeling the pressure that we were a month or so ago. We’ll keep plugging away and update you as we make some more progress.

3 Comments:

Blogger the rinehart's said...

Cole's...
So sad I couldn't be there last nite. Can't wait to see all the updates! Looks GREAT! Call again anytime you need help! We miss you guys!
R.S.M

9/20/2006 2:47 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Yeeoowww! I can't imagine :) Yeah I so would have been laughing hysterically too...that is until I began to wonder if we would be able to have kids :P

Too cool. I love all your creative ideas. You guys are doing great. I sure can't wait to see it all done! Do you have a projected finish date?

9/22/2006 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that was R of the Rinehart clan posting...S has to be a little more hesitant to respond after lugging in that slab-o-concrete the other night.

Glad to hear we can be an encouragement, Jeannie, and thanks for your prayers. We sure need them.

Monica - we're still shooting for a December move-in. We're kind of taking it easy right now, but we're wanting to finish the kitchen and master bedroom before then...maybe sometime between the holidays (don't tell Sherry, but I'm starting to get anxious)

9/22/2006 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home